12 skippers entered for this years Strebor trophy and what a days racing it was.
The sun shone and the wind was mid A rig from mainly the WNW with plenty of gusts and shifts for the skippers to contend with. After our PRO for the day, Dave Williams, had set the marks we started at 10:30 which proved to be a popular start time for most.
The racing was tough to say the least, with plenty of movement up or down the fleet for anyone who read or misread the shifts.
By lunchtime, 3 skippers had stamped their authority on the race, but by no means having it all there own way- and they were often joined by the chasing bunch, the racing was that close. It was obvious that we were going to sail quite a few races on the day and consistency would be the key factor to win the day. Quite a few general recalls and individual recalls were called by Dave Williams and his keen eye and indeed he did a great job of keeping sailing ticking over at a good pace and managed to get 18 races in for the event, when we stopped after the last race which started at 3:25.
In the end it was Rob Walsh sailing his BritPOP! who took the trophy for his maiden victory at this event on 28 points and that included 7 race wins, following Rob was Graham Elliott on 30 points with 5 race wins and rounding off the podium and a welcome return after his Summer of dinghy sailing was Paul Allen on 31 points including 6 race wins.
This was probably one of the best days sailing we have had at the club for some time, the racing was hard but fair, with plenty of skippers ducking a stern or two even at the windward mark and not one raised voice was heard all day. After sailing 7 of us decided we had earnt a pint or two so off to the Caernarvon Castle for a little more banter.
Many thanks to Dave Williams for running the day (along with several different helpers) and Jack for supplying the refreshments.
- Rob Walsh 25 Britpop! Fleetwood 28pts
- Graham Elliott 09 Britpop! Birkenhead 30pts
- Paul Allen 27 Britpop! Birkenhead 31pts
- Martin Roberts 22 Vanilla Birkenhead 72pts
- Peter Baldwin 63 Britpop! Birkenhead 73pts
- Bill Culshaw 21 Britpop! Birkenhead 76pts
- Alan Bennett 33 Viper Etherow 86pts
- Chuck Millican 121 Britpop! Birkenhead 102pts
- Alan Watkinson 23 Britpop! Birkenhead 120pts
- John Berry 12 Viper Etherow 129pts
- Andrew Peter 66 V9 Birkenhead 145pts
- Ken Jones 20 Pitprop Etherow 153pts