After 8 rounds of close racing with 27 members and a handful of guests our Birkenhead IOM Winter Champions have been settled.
PRO Bill Culshaw kept racing moving at a cracking pace for the final race of the Birkenhead IOM Winter Series. A light NW breeze flowed down the middle of the lake for 16 skippers including guest Ken Binks from the Eastbourne club. Graham Elliott set the pace for the majority of the day and suffered finally through having to leave a couple of races short at the end. Brad Gibson took out the final race, making a clean sweep of the Winter Series but was pushed hard by Martin Roberts throughout the day.
1. Brad Gibson, 19
2. Martin Roberts, 25
3. Graham Elliott, 26
4. Dave Potter, 26
5. Victoria McNulty, 45
6. Ken Binks*, 51
7. Mick Chamberlain, 53
8. Rob Walsh, 57
9. Colin Smith, 72
10. Neil Westbrook, 91
11. Ernie Rice, 95
12. Lisa Reeves, 97
13. Dave Williams, 99
14. Jim Findlay, 105
15. Dave Wayt, 121
16. Roy Washbrook, 122
PRO – Bill Culshaw
A notice to all members and visitors that we are hosting Round 5 of the Northern District Winter Series on Sunday 26th February.
Racing starts at 10.00am sharp, no race shall start after 3.30pm.
Hotpot lunch included with your £3.50 entry fee.
To register email Brad Gibson by 8.00pm on Friday 24th February with your:
– Sail number
– MYA Number
– Radio frequency
*UPDATE Friday PM*
We are now looking very likely to go to two fleets with any more last minute entries. Please get them to us before 8pm if you wish to sail and help make life easier for our catering ladies.
1. 42, Brad Gibson, Birkenhead, 2.4GHz
2. 62, Victoria McNulty, Birkenhead, 2.4GHz
3. 09, Graham Elliott, Birkenhead, 2.4GHz
4. 74, John Fozard, Ashton Quays, 2.4GHz
5. 98, Darin Ballington, Manor Park, 2.4GHz
6. 51, John Tushingham, Keighley
7. 108, Liz Tushingham, Keighley
8. 54, Roy Stevens, Tri-Services, 40.985
9. 94, Ernie Rice, Birkenhead, 2.4GHz
10. 277, Mick Chamberlain, Rotherham, 2.4 GHz
11. 22, Martin Roberts, Birkenhead, 2.4GHz
12. 101, Damian Ackroyd, Leeds & Bradford, 40.865
13. 83, Ken Binks, Eastbourne & DMYC, 2.4GHz
14. 71, Graham Marsh, Ashton Quays, 40.925
15. 61, John Sharman, Keighley, 2.4GHz
16. 21, Bill Culshaw, Birkenhead, 2.4GHz
17. 11, Dave Stewart, Ashton Quays, 2.4GHz
18. 75, Tony Edwards, Leicestershire, 40.855
19. 25, Rob Walsh, Fleetwood, 2.4GHz
Round 7 was sailed in a nice light A rig from the SSE. Some very close racing in the day with four different heat winners showing the evenness of the skippers. Thank you to both Colin Smith and Colin Galvin for braving the cold and giving us a good day sailing. The final round of the Birkenhead Club Winter Series is on Saturday 25th February with a prizegiving to follow racing for the series.
1. Brad Gibson, 11 pts
2. Graham Elliott, 17
3. Martin Roberts, 25
4. Darin Ballington, 27
5. Dave Potter, 27
6. Victoria McNulty, 40
7. Dave Burke, 52
8. Bill Culshaw, 58
9. Dave Williams, 64
10. Neil Westbrook, 65
11. Roy Washbrook, 80
12. Ernie Rice, 87
13. David Catherall, 91
PROs – Colin Smith and Colin Galvin
For anyone interested some members are planning an RM get together for next Saturday 18th February, keep your eye on the Message Board for any details.
Racing as scheduled.
The lake was inspected this evening with no sign of any ice. We plan to run Race 7 tomorrow as per the calendar.
We will take a look at the lake on Friday and post a decision on whether the lake will be sailable or not on Saturday. Please look back for an update Friday PM.
If the lake is frozen the Race will be re-scheduled to the following Saturday, 18th February.